It's time for another progress report on my "30 Before 30" list. Regarding the deadline, let's just say I keep asking for and granting extensions. 23-year-old Ardith is thankful for the more flexible time constraints, I like to believe. (That could be Present Me projecting.)
First, the last update from 2015. If you remember, I whittled my definitive list down to a handful of items. Below is the progress made since then, along with some notes where necessary.
1. Visit theItalian town my Italian ancestors are from (Monastero di Lanzo)
2. Visit Australia and New Zealand
3. Visit Kauai, Hawai’i – Completed in February 2017
4. Learn to swim
5. Learn to ride a bike – Completed as of July 2017 (Well, my three class beginner series ended, and it ended with me being able to successfully ride in circles in a single gear! The learning continues.)
6. Learn more Spanish and Tagalog
7. Meet my cousins and family in the Philippines – Finally completed as of April 2017 (And I plan to go again. Coincidentally, I returned to SE Asia a month later on a business exchange to our Vietnam office.)
8. Travel to the Oregon Coast again
9. Get my CrossFit Level 1 Certificate – Change of plans: Completed my USAW Sports Performance Coach certification in June 2017
10. Visit Iceland – December 2015
11. Have the BEST 30th birthday celebration w/ my closest friends somewhere far away – See #10!
Giving me a little bit of extra time seemed to be the trick to ticking off more of my pared-down dream list.*
To be honest, this check-in was inspired primarily by my bicycling milestone. Can you believe this 31-year-old learned to ride a bike in three Sunday sessions? My goal was to be able to ride a bike at a reasonable speed on reasonably level ground, and I'm tickled that I met it. Now, clear the road and get out of my way–mostly for your own safety, because I'm still not fantastic at riding in a straight line.
*Full disclosure: I have a list of 100 dreams I created during a challenge issued by my work. The 11 items here are just a sliver of the whole. I would also be lying if I said most of my 100 dreams aren't travel-related… More to come.