The “30 Before 30” List.
It’s a daunting entity. But in a world where it sometimes seems that simply taking care of myself is a challenge, I need something to keep me on a path towards bettering myself.
(On a related note: My friend Beth started a blog to keep track of her own “30 Before 30.” Follow her, too– she’s cute and loves the color pink. Also, she’s getting married on a boat this summer. How fun is that?)
But anyway, my list just recently came into being. So, for the first time in a public sphere, here it is:
1. Visit Erin in Spain
2. Visit the Italian town my ancestors are from
3. Visit Australia and meet a kangaroo
4. Visit Kauai and go surfing there
5. Learn to swim
6. Learn to ride a bike
7. Learn to bartend
8. Learn Spanish and Tagalog
9. Meet my cousins and family in the Philippines
10. Earn a master’s degree in student affairs administration
11. Have one more Wenatchee summer
12. Stay in a bed & breakfast somewhere on the Oregon coast
13. Take an extensive brewery tour of the Northwest and West Coast
14. Hike the Enchantments
15. Hike part of the Pacific Crest trail (WA portion)
16. Road trip to Alaska
17. Write a memoir
18. Get a piece of poetry published
19. Write a book AND get it published (Bancroft Press: http://www.bancroftpress.com; Kitsune Books: http://www.kitsunebooks.com)
20. Perform improv or stand-up
21. Be an extra in a movie
22. Get professional-quality headshots/model shots just for fun
23. Try out for a semi-pro/professional dance/cheer team
24. Meet Neil Patrick Harris
25. Get an awesome 6-pack
26. Buy a car
27. Get a dog
28. Read more books
29. Take Amtrak down the west coast
30. Get married and have a wonderful, down-to-earth wedding
I also have a more ambitious “25 Before 25” list which includes learning how to ride a bike, learning to swim, and other “I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU DON’T KNOW HOW TO DO THAT” items. I have just over 290 days to accomplish those, though, and I need some help. These particular things need to get done this year. Especially the “learn to swim” thing if I ever expect to go surfing in Kauai. Or anywhere for that matter.
Regardless, I think my 30B30 list is decent. Some of those items are incredibly measurable. Some aren’t. That’s okay. It’s my list.
And if all goes to plan, I’ll knock the first two items off my list in a matter of months. Crazy.