30 Before 30

The “30 Before 30” List.

It’s a daunting entity. But in a world where it sometimes seems that simply taking care of myself is a challenge, I need something to keep me on a path towards bettering myself.

(On a related note: My friend Beth started a blog to keep track of her own “30 Before 30.” Follow her, too– she’s cute and loves the color pink. Also, she’s getting married on a boat this summer. How fun is that?)

But anyway, my list just recently came into being. So, for the first time in a public sphere, here it is:

1. Visit Erin in Spain
2. Visit the Italian town my ancestors are from
3. Visit Australia and meet a kangaroo
4. Visit Kauai and go surfing there
5. Learn to swim
6. Learn to ride a bike
7. Learn to bartend
8. Learn Spanish and Tagalog
9. Meet my cousins and family in the Philippines
10. Earn a master’s degree in student affairs administration
11. Have one more Wenatchee summer
12. Stay in a bed & breakfast somewhere on the Oregon coast
13. Take an extensive brewery tour of the Northwest and West Coast
14. Hike the Enchantments
15. Hike part of the Pacific Crest trail (WA portion)
16. Road trip to Alaska
17. Write a memoir
18. Get a piece of poetry published
19. Write a book AND get it published (Bancroft Press: http://www.bancroftpress.com; Kitsune Books: http://www.kitsunebooks.com)
20. Perform improv or stand-up
21. Be an extra in a movie
22. Get professional-quality headshots/model shots just for fun
23. Try out for a semi-pro/professional dance/cheer team
24. Meet Neil Patrick Harris
25. Get an awesome 6-pack
26. Buy a car
27. Get a dog
28. Read more books
29. Take Amtrak down the west coast
30. Get married and have a wonderful, down-to-earth wedding

I also have a more ambitious “25 Before 25” list which includes learning how to ride a bike, learning to swim, and other “I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU DON’T KNOW HOW TO DO THAT” items. I have just over 290 days to accomplish those, though, and I need some help. These particular things need to get done this year. Especially the “learn to swim” thing if I ever expect to go surfing in Kauai. Or anywhere for that matter.

Regardless, I think my 30B30 list is decent. Some of those items are incredibly measurable. Some aren’t. That’s okay. It’s my list.

And if all goes to plan, I’ll knock the first two items off my list in a matter of months. Crazy.

Advertisements

18 thoughts on “30 Before 30

1. sartenada says:

So ambitious list and I liked many things in it. I just wondering that You are not learning in the school swimming, is that tue?

Okay, anyway, I liked this item: ” Road trip to Alaska”. Yes, wilderness is always an experience and by travelling by road is much more exiting like taking a plane. I have been trekking in the wilderness of my country far beyond the Arctic Circle and it is a real experience.

I wish that You can fulfill many items from Your list.

• Ardith says:

I am, in fact, a terrible swimmer. I was enrolled in lessons years and years ago, and I was STILL terrible. I need to fix that.

Yes, I’m excited about a potential road trip to Alaska. I love road trips. That’s really awesome that you’ve been able to experience so much where you’re from.

Thank you!

2. Heather Rae says:

I love your list! I especially like the road trip to Alaska and the one to write a book and get it published. You have many awesome goals, and I look forward to reading your stories of accomplishing them!!

• Ardith says:

I do realize you live near Hollywood. Maybe I’ll make my trip down for your wedding a Beth’s wedding/NPH sighting trip. 😉

I would highly consider USC but ah… it’s $1200+ per credit. And my most expensive “top school” charges $536 per credit. Soooo…

You’re always welcome for inspiration. 🙂

3. Sam says:

When the weather gets nicer, we can go “swimming” out at Golden Gardens or Greenlake (ew) or something. I have a friend who teaches swim lessons so we will get on it! Also, you could write a book about your various 30B30 accomplishments! Bam!

4. Erin says:

i’m glad to see that i’m numero 1 on your list. and i can help you with lots of those! here’s the deal…you come visit me in spain. i will help you with your spanish, teach you how to swim in the ocean that is across the street. and heck, my flatmate even has a bike, so we can work on that one too 😉

i’m glad osu went well. cant wait to hear about it. good luck with travel plans….if there is anything i can do to help, lemme know 🙂 i also want to know more about this teaching thing youre doing.

and when im back this summer we can have a get-away to the oregon coast at a bed and breakfast hehe. maybe we will bring two boys along 😛

LOVE YOU!

5. Ebony_Jewel says:

I love that learn how to swim & ride a bike are on your list, but I’m gonna ask the question that I’m sure everyone else has asked you….how in the world have you not learned how to ride a bike? Swim is a little bit different cause I know some people who are terribly afraid of water! I love swimming…and I think I may be one of the very few black people alive that enjoys swimming LOL!

• Ardith says:

Weeeeell, it’s not like my parents didn’t try to teach me how to ride a bike, bless their hearts. I was just uninterested and terrible at it. 🙂 Swimming is great– or at least, I think it would be great if I were better at it. I mean, I like dunking myself in the lake or river when it’s hot enough!

6. Meg says:

I love your 30 before 30 list! I’m in the process of creating one myself. Such a fun way to accomplish some awesome goals. Good luck with yours! =)